Australia Learner Licence

Australia Learner Licence

A learner licence is gained after: (a) the minimum driving age of 16 is met; (b) passing a touch-screen computer-based test Driver Knowledge Test; (c) provide identification; and (d) pass an eyesight test.[6] Learners are permitted to drive accompanied by a supervising unrestricted licence holder. Learners are subject to numerous restrictions: (a) a maximum speed of 90 km/h; (b) a zero blood alcohol content limit; (c) cannot tow a trailer; and (d) and must conspicuously display black-on-yellow “L-plates” on the exterior of the vehicle while driving. Learners must complete at least 120 hours of driving practice including 20 hours of night driving and hold the learner licence for at least 12 months before a provisional P1 licence is issued. Since 16 December 2009, one hour with an instructor is equal to three hours of normal driving hours until a total of ten hours with an instructor. This equates to a maximum of 30 hours which can be accumulated at an advanced rate .Since 19 December 2009, learner drivers 25 years old and over are not required to complete a learner driver log book and are exempt from the twelve-month tenure

Provisional P1 Licence

A provisional P1 licence (commonly called Ps and Reds) is gained after: (a) a minimum twelve months of holding a learner licence; (b) 120 hours (20 hours night drive between sunset and sunrise) of on-road driving experience; and (c) pass a driving test. The licence holder can drive unaccompanied but is limited to a maximum speed of 90 km/h, towing trailers of up to 250 kg  and a zero alcohol content. Red-on-white “P-plates” must be displayed while driving. P1 drivers are limited to a total of four demerit points during the term of the licence, as compared to the thirteen-point limit on unrestricted licences] P1 drivers must hold the licence for one year before progressing to the next stage.

Provisional P2 Licence

A provisional P2 licence (commonly known as Ps and Greens) is gained after one year and successful completion of a computerised hazard perception test. The driver is restricted to a speed limit of 100 km/h, a zero alcohol limit and a maximum of seven demerit points; however, they are eligible to upgrade the class of their licence, such as those for heavier vehicles.P2 drivers must conspicuously display a green-on-white “P-plate” on the exterior of the vehicle at all times. P2 drivers must hold the licence for two years before progressing to the next stage.

Full Licence
A full, unrestricted licence is gained after two years and successful completion of another computerized test. Unrestricted drivers licences are colored gold. More Read :

vehicles registration Condition

Conditional registration is for vehicles that don’t comply with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules (ADR’s) (external website) and vehicle standards; and need limited access to the road network to perform specific functions. If a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the ADR’s, conditional registration is not offered. Examples of vehicles requiring conditional registration include:

        • agricultural vehicles
        • construction vehicles
        • purpose built vehicles
        • oversnow vehicles
        • left-hand drive vehicles
        • Special Work Vehicles Type 1 & 2.


If suitable operating conditions cannot be imposed on a vehicle to overcome or moderate performance deficiencies when travelling on the road network, then the vehicle will not be registered.

VicRoads has the discretion to impose any reasonable condition, consistent with ensuring safety of all road users. Conditions will be tailored to suit the particular vehicle and its use and may include:

        • requiring additional or alternative equipment
        • reducing exposure (e.g. restricting speeds, hours of use, and operating range)
        • requiring additional operative personnel or escort vehicles
        • specifying additional protective gear for occupants
        • fitting warning signs
        • restrictions on towing vehicle masses.

conditions for vehicles not ADR and vehicle standards compliant

          In addition to a standard registration certificate, label, and set of number plates; operators of conditionally registered vehicles are issued with a Certificate of Approved Operations. This outlines the conditions imposed on the vehicle when driven on a road or road related area. The


        are listed in the table below.
        The Certificate of Approved Operations must be carried in the vehicle at all times for enforcement purposes.

Special Work Vehicles Type 1 & 2

          Special Work Vehicles are specialised motor vehicles, primarily constructed and used for off-road transportation that:


    • are a light motor vehicle not constructed as a tractor; and
    • are primarily constructed for and used for off-road transportation; and
    • are undertaking agricultural, maintenance or service tasks; and
    • do not comply with the Australian Design Rules ( ADR).

Driving instructors in VicRoads

Driving instructors, acting as an agent on behalf of their client, are regarded as a third party. All the requirements of a third party apply. Special arrangements apply to accredited training and test providers as Confidentiality Agreements are in place.

Test booking information
Licence test appointment information is not regarded as personal or commercially sensitive so may be released to a driver instructor or an agent acting on behalf of an applicant. This also permits driver instructors or agents to make test bookings on behalf of another person.

Test information will only be disclosed if the driving instructor or agent can provide the applicant’s:

  • full name and address; and
  • date of birth; and
  • licence / permit number (where applicable)
  • test appointment number (optional)

Test information that may be released:

  • test appointment number (if requested)
  • date and time of test
  • office location

Online access
Approved driving instructors may have access to VicRoads online test booking system to create, transfer and cancel appointments. Each instructor must enter into a user agreement at their local VicRoads office.
Governments, Agencies, Councils & Shires
Local, State and Federal Government Departments and Agencies including the Victorian Taxi & Tow Truck Directorate may request information from VicRoads records, in accordance with Section 92 of the Road Safety Act 1986 where:

  • the department or agency has a current active Confidentiality Agreement with VicRoads; and
  • the person requesting the confidential information is recorded as a ‘Nominated User’ in the Authorised Organisation Agreement; and
  • appropriate supporting documentation accompanying the request is supplied.

All requests for information under these arrangements need to be forwarded to and responded to by VicRoads Driver and Vehicle Services Department.

Release of information under other circumstances
Without a Confidentiality Agreement in place will be treated as a Third Party.
May be provided with information if the release of the confidential information is required, or authorised, by law.

These requests may be dealt with by any member of VicRoads in the Registration and Licensing area who has access rights to registration and licensing information.

Telephone or email
Information will be not be disclosed as express written consent from the person to which the record relates cannot be confirmed.

VicRoads Information Services Department, may by prior arrangement where positive identification of the enquirer is possible, provide information in response to phone or email requests.

A number of approved government departments or agencies have online access to VicRoads records in accordance with the terms of the current, active Confidentiality Agreement.

Fax or counter service
Information may be disclosed in accordance with the requirements relating to a third party.
VicRoads Information Services Department, may by arrangements under Confidentiality Agreement, provide information in response to approved requests.

International driving permits in Victoria

International Driving Permits (IDP’s) are recommended when you intend driving overseas.

In Australia, the Government appointed the Australian Automobile Association (AAA) as the only authority to issue permits. In Victoria, the RACV, as a constituent member of the AAA, is authorised to issue IDP’s through its RACV shops (external website).

An IDP is a widely recognised document and is useful for photo identification purposes. You may also need one to rent a car overseas.

Using an International Driving Permit in Victoria
An international driving permit represents a translation of an overseas driver licence. It has no validity on its own and must accompany a current overseas driver licence issued from your home licensing authority overseas.

An international driving permit is only valid if it:

  • complies with the UN convention for International Driving Permits, and
  • is issued by the country the overseas driver licence is issued in; and
  • is accompanied by a current overseas driver licence from the same country the permit was issued in.

How does SmartRoads work

What is SmartRoads?
SmartRoads is an approach that manages competing interests for limited road space by giving priority use of the road to different transport modes at particular times of the day.

All road users will continue to have access to all roads. However, certain routes will be managed to work better for cars while others will be managed for public transport, cyclists and pedestrians.

SmartRoads ensures that decisions about the operation of the road network support land use and transport planning and better consider the effects on the surrounding community, Victoria’s key activity centres and the environment.

SmartRoads uses a set of guiding principles to establish the priority use of roads by transport mode, time, and place of activity. These priority movements are then assigned to arterial roads across the network forming SmartRoads Network Operating Plan.

Under SmartRoads:

  • Pedestrians will be encouraged by facilitating good pedestrian access into and within activity centres in periods of high demand.
  • Trams and buses are given priority on key public transport routes that link activity centres during morning and afternoon peak periods.
  • Cars will be encouraged to use alternative routes around activity centres to reduce the level of ‘through’ traffic.
  • Bicycles will be encouraged through further developing the bicycle network.
  • While trucks will have full access to the arterial road network, they will be given priority on important transport routes that link freight hubs and at times that reduce conflict with other transport modes.

new driving course for young drivers

Young drivers will be offered the chance to learn more about road safety and reduce their logbook driving hours under a raft of changes by the NSW Government covering Learner licences.

Learners who take part in a new Safer Drivers Course and also have professional lessons will be able to reduce their compulsory supervised driving hours from 120 to 80.

Learners will also be allowed, from 1 July 2013, to travel up to 90km/h instead of 80km/h, giving them more supervised driving experience on higher speed roads in preparation for their graduation to P-Plates.

This follows a recommendation by the Auditor General to review learner speed limits.
Roads Minister Duncan Gay said the Safer Drivers Course, which will become available to Learners from July, will involve both theoretical and practical coaching.

“It also teaches learner drivers about gauging road conditions, seeing issues that could affect them and making safe decisions,” he said.

“This is a first step in rewarding the state’s younger drivers for learning safer behaviour behind the wheel.

“Young drivers are tragically over-represented in the NSW road toll and we want to ensure they are all given the opportunity to learn about road safety while they are still learning the basics of driving.”

Mr Gay said the course would be gradually rolled out based on community uptake and the availability of service providers.

“We’ve carried out market research with parents and learner drivers who believe the course will benefit them,” he said.

“They have told us it tackles the very aspects beginners face when they first start driving.
“The course deals with different road conditions, understanding factors beyond a driver’s control and also helps identify risks on the road.

“We recommend that learners enrol in the course when they have 50 hours completed in their logbook. By that stage they will have basic driving skills and will understand and appreciate the lessons they will be taught.

“This is a different approach to conventional driver training which focuses more on the mechanics of driving and road rules.”

A board of road safety experts including representatives from Centre for Road Safety, Roads and Maritime Services, NSW Police, road safety researchers and education specialists developed the course.

The course has also been supported by an advisory panel which included industry and community representatives including NRMA, driver trainer associations and community based road safety education providers.

“The course will help those young drivers who struggle to log 120 hours behind the wheel while on their L-plates while at the same time addressing safety issues they will face when they first drive solo,” the Minister said.

The cost of the course will be capped at an affordable price for each participant and any additional cost of delivering the course will be covered by the Community Road Safety Fund, which has been established to ensure infringement revenue directly finances road safety initiatives.

The board identified options to help young drivers from remote, lower socio-economic and Aboriginal communities meet the requirements to qualify for their P-plates.

Work on these options is underway. A pilot of a restricted provisional driver’s licence for young people in three remote NSW communities west of the Newell Highway will also begin in July.

Under 25-year-olds in those remote areas will be able to obtain a provisional drivers licence, only for the purpose of driving to work, education and medical appointments. They can only be given the restricted licence if they have passed the driving test and completed at least 50 supervised driving hours.

Holding yourdriving licence after you have turned 75

If you are a Queensland driver licence holder 75 years of age or older, you must only drive while carrying, and driving in accordance with a current Medical Certificate for Motor Vehicle Driver form (F3712). This is mandatory regardless of whether or not you have a medical condition.

If your doctor has recommended conditions for you when driving, your medical certificate must state those conditions. You must abide by these conditions when driving.

Fines apply for driving outside the conditions of your licence.

How long does my medical certificate last?

How long your medical certificate lasts depends on whether you have a medical condition, and how often that condition requires monitoring.

This is a decision that only your doctor can make. A medical certificate may be issued for a few months or for up to five years.

You will still be eligible to apply for a driver licence that lasts for up to five years, regardless of how long your medical certificate is issued for. However, you must ensure you only drive while carrying, and in accordance with a current medical certificate.

Fines apply for driving without holding a current medical certificate and driving outside the conditions of your licence.

Will I be reminded to get a medical certificate?

If you are turning 75 years of age and hold a current licence, you may receive a letter from the department approximately six weeks before your 75th birthday advising you of the need to hold, and carry, a current medical certificate if you wish to continue driving.

When details of your medical certificate are recorded by the department, a reminder is generally forwarded approximately six weeks before the certificate’s expiry date.

However, the reminder is sent as a courtesy and should not be the only source relied upon as a reminder to obtain a new medical certificate.

The review/expiry date should be clearly documented on the medical certificate carried by you while driving.

Eligibility to qualify for a Victorian driver licence

The requirement to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence depends on whether your stay in Victoria is temporary or permanent.

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas driver licence for as long as it is current providing it is in English or accompanied by an English translation or International Driving Permit. There is no requirement to get a Victorian driver licence.

If you have entered Victoria on a permanent visa issued under the Migration Act 1958, you may drive on your overseas driver licence for:

  • six months from the date you first entered Australia if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia; or,
  • six months from the date when the permanent visa was issued to you if the permanent visa was issued to you whilst in Australia.

If you want to continue driving in Victoria after this time you must change your overseas licence to a Victorian driver licence.

New Zealand residents who hold a current licence are treated as interstate drivers.

Eligibility to qualify for a Victorian licence
Victorian full driver licence
To obtain a Victorian full driver licence you must:

  • be 21 years of age or older; and
  • hold an overseas full driver licence; or
  • have held an overseas probationary driver licence for at least three years from your 18th birthday (you must provide evidence).

Your overseas driver licence must be current or not expired by more than five years. Any period where you have been suspended or disqualified from driving is excluded when calculating the period of time you have held a licence.

Victorian probationary driver licence
To obtain a Victorian probationary driver licence you must be at least 18 years of age. No exemptions apply.

An appropriate probationary period (P1 or P2) will apply, depending on your age and the amount of time your overseas driver licence has been held (you must provide evidence). Any period where you have been suspended of disqualified from driving is excluded when calculating the period of time you have held a licence.

You will be issued with a P1 probationary driver licence if you are under 21 years of age and have held an overseas driver licence for less than 12 months from your 18th birthday.

    You will be issued with a P2 driver licence if you:

  • are under 21 years of age and have held a driver licence for more than 12 months; or
  • are 21 years of age or older and have held a driver licence for less than three years.

Victorian learner permit
You must be at least 16 years of age to obtain a Victorian learner permit (at least 18 years for a motorcycle). No age exemptions apply.

The decision about whether it is safe to continue driving

With improved health care people are living longer and more active lives. This is rewarding for the individual and provides a wealth of knowledge and experience for the community to draw on. Staying active and participating in community life is vital for your health and well being. Access to transport is necessary to staying active. If you don’t drive, it can present real challenges, but it is possible to get around and stay mobile.

The decision about whether it is safe to continue driving
Unlike other states, Victoria’s licensing policy is based on a person’s fitness to drive. There is no retesting for licence renewal based on the age of a driver. People can drive to any age as long as it is safe for them to do so. The decision to reduce or stop driving is often made by the driver. This may be because driving is becoming difficult or stressful, or following advice from a family member, friend or doctor.

Drivers of any age can develop medical conditions that affect their ability to drive safely. These conditions must be reported to VicRoads. Doctors can advise on which conditions need to be reported. Victoria’s licensing system also relies on the community to contact VicRoads about drivers who are considered to be unsafe. In these cases medical reports are requested and driving retests may be conducted. This may result in the licence being suspended or cancelled.

Dealing with the decision
Discovering that you can no longer drive can lead to feelings of loss of freedom and independence. It may also be frustrating and difficult to imagine life without driving. What is important is that you don’t allow the quality of your life to suffer. Explore the full range of options available to you and plan for how you can continue to socialise, maintain hobbies and interests, pay bills and shop.

There may be more than one solution to your transport needs. You may need to use different options depending on where you are going and when you are travelling. Use the information on this page to help you plan your trip. Help and advice is also available from the organisations listed on this page.

serious errors Driving test

Crashing into another vehicle or road user (eg. pedestrian or bicyclist) will immediately end your test and you will fail.  Even a small collision is a sign that you need to develop more safety-related skills before driving on your own.
Mounting the kerb
Hitting or running into the kerb or footpath is a serious safety issue. It puts pedestrians and other road users at risk and is a sign that you do not have safe control of the car. This will immediately end your test and you will fail. This penalty is less severe if you hit the kerb gently while performing a reverse-park. This error is a potential safety problem. It suggests you need more practice with this manoeuvre, but it usually doesn’t place anyone in immediate danger.
Driving too fast for the conditions and exceeding the speed limit causes crashes. Speed related crashes are a big problem for young drivers. The speed limit is the maximum safe speed at which you should drive. If you exceed the speed limit by more than 5 km/h during your test drive the test will be stopped and you will fail. This is regarded as a serious error because it creates an unsafe situation.

It is also a serious error to exceed the speed limit by any amount. Exceeding the speed limit by even a small amount may result in a penalty.

If the traffic is very busy and moving at a speed slower than the speed limit, you should choose an appropriate speed to fit into the traffic flow.  However you may be penalised if you drive too slowly for the conditions during the test because you are meant to be driving in normal, day-to-day driving conditions.
Failing to Give Way, Look, or Signal
Other drivers should not have to avoid a collision because of something you have done while driving.  It is your responsibility to choose a safe gap when you are entering traffic, turning at an inter-section, changing lanes, or merging.

If you fail to give way to another road user and they have to avoid a collision with you, the test will be terminated and you will fail. This is a serious, safety-related error.

Entering traffic, turning, or changing lanes without looking or signalling is obviously dangerous. Even if there are no other cars around, this type of behaviour increases the risk of a collision. For this reason it is treated as a serious error and you may fail the test if you don’t look or signal when required.

Stopping the Car

When you stop the car – either to park or at an intersection – you must stop in a safe position.  This means that your car should not be in a position where other road users have to change their behaviour to avoid you.

You will fail the test if other drivers or road users do have to avoid your car, and you may fail if you stop in a location where other drivers or road users might have to avoid you.
Stop Signs and Traffic Lights
It is not unusual for licence applicants to fail the on-road test because they go through a Stop sign or traffic light without stopping. This is very unsafe behaviour. You are required to STOP at a Stop sign or red traffic signal.

If you do not stop at a red traffic signal or red arrow that applies to you, the test will be terminated and you will fail. This is extremely risky behaviour.

If you drive through a Stop sign the test will be terminated and you will fail.

Some experienced drivers do the wrong thing by slowing down at a Stop sign to observe for hazards without actually stopping the wheels of the car completely.  This is illegal and may not be safe – you will be penalised if you do this in the test. You will have a Critical Error recorded and may end up failing the test even if there were no potential hazards nearby. If you create an unsafe situation by doing this, the test will be terminated and you will fail.  You must Stop at a Stop sign.
Any Other Unsafe Situations
The licence testing officer is able to terminate the test if you do anything that creates an unsafe situation. The licence testing officer is able to terminate the test to prevent an unsafe situation occurring. You are being assessed on your ability to drive safely so you, your passengers, and any other road users are not put at risk. If you do something that creates an unsafe situation, this is a sign that you are not ready to drive on your own.

If someone else does something that creates an unsafe situation, you will not be penalised as long as you detect the problem and react safely.
Any Other Illegal Actions
There are many road rules and you are expected to know them all and obey them – during the driving test and whenever you are driving.

If you disobey a road rule but it doesn’t put you or other road users (or property) at risk, a Critical Error will be recorded and you may end up failing the test. So it pays to be careful about obeying the rules.