Pre-drive safety check
Before beginning the Drive Test the LTO will direct the applicant to perform a pre-drive safety check
1.The applicant is required to identify and operate the following vehicle controls:
1. The applicant is required to identify and operate the following vehicle controls:
- turn indicators
- brake lights
- headlights (high and low beam)*
- hazard lights
- windscreen washer and wipers.
2. The applicant is required to identify the handbrake.
3. The applicant is asked to identify, but not operate, the following controls:
windscreen demisterrear window demister (where fitted).
4. The applicant is required to start the engine.
If the applicant fails to satisfy the requirements in Items 1 and 2, or if any of the vehicle controls listed in Items 1 and 2 do not operate correctly, the applicant is not permitted to undertake the Drive Test.If the applicant fails to identify the controls listed in Item 3, the LTO should point out the relevant control(s) to the applicant, but still allow the applicant to undertake the Drive Test.If it becomes necessary to use one of these controls during the Drive Test and the applicant requires assistance to operate the control, an Immediate Termination Error (Intervention)
should be recorded.The pre-drive safety check does not contribute to the applicant’s test score.
* The LTO should direct the applicant to turn the headlights on (low beam) throughout Stages 1 and 2 of the Drive Test.